[Talk-us] FBI using OSM on website... without attribution

David Kewley david.t.kewley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 18:36:29 UTC 2017

It looks like all the FBI field office sites are essentially part of the
national site, so they're all probably managed centrally. They all credit
Leaflet in the map widget, and use OSM tiles without crediting OSM.

It's been years since I've noticed webmaster links, like we used to have in
the early days of the Web. Poking around, I couldn't find any technical
feedback links at all on fbi.gov. Ideas for contacting someone who might be
able to help with this issue:

   - Call the national FBI number: (202) 324-3000 from
   https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/fbi-headquarters.
   - Email one of the Community Outreach addresses available at various
   field offices ("Community Outreach" link near the top of each field
   office's page). E.g. for the San Francisco office, it's
   outreach.sf at ic.fbi.gov from
   https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/sanfrancisco/community-outreach-1.
   Some other field offices also have outreach email addresses.
   - On their "Businesses" page https://www.fbi.gov/resources/businesses,
   they have a link for "Intellectual Property Theft/Piracy" at
   https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/white-collar-crime/piracy-ip-theft.
   While this issue seems economically tiny compared to the IP theft issues
   they tend to spend time on, it might be possible to get someone's help this
   way, since it's their own website. (Although the reporting methods I found
   went to other offices, not obviously directly to the FBI.)

I won't be following up on these in the foreseeable future, but if someone
else does follow up, please let us all know what happens.

David