[Talk-us] SEO Damage to OSM

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Jun 30 21:56:00 UTC 2017

> On Jun 30, 2017, at 2:06 PM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
>
> Am 30.06.2017 um 22:59 schrieb Ian Dees:
>> First of all, that's Mapbox's data team that made the changes since the SEO editor added junk, not Telenav,
>
> Sorry, but making about a dozen edits on a road (including changing the tagging) -without- raising an eyebrow about its tagging is not better than spamming on purpose (in the end they jkust want to improve their life too, why not give them some slack).
>
> But you obviously believe that mindless mechanical editing is a good thing ... more power to you is the only thing I can say to that.

Getting way off topic. . .

Probably not a matter of “mindless mechanical editing” as much as paid editing vs amateur editing. In this case I will go with the antique meaning of amateur “one who does something because they love doing it”.

This will happen to some extent in any situation where relatively lowly paid people are making the edits: Unless the incentives are carefully created and managed there will be people doing the minimum they can get away with and still be paid. And if the incentives are poorly designed and managed the people who care and take the time to “do it right” will be called on the carpet for not being “productive”.

In my opinion, the typical amateur mapper’s goal is to create a perfect map (not possible but a nice goal). Even if their focus is on power lines or fire hydrants they will fix the obvious errors on unrelated things they find around the items they went in to add or fix. At least I find that for myself: When driving I might notice via OsmAnd that a road has no maxspeed tags. When I go in to fix that, I add or fix lanes, turn lanes, surface material, stop signs, traffic lights, adjacent service roads, parking, etc. So a simple edit of a single tag on a single highway segment can turn into a hour of reviewing notes, checking imagery, making updates/corrections. It is highly unlikely that a person who is being rated/paid/promoted on how soon they can get maxspeed (or turn:lanes) tags complete for an arbitrary box on the map will take the time to see if all the other things that make the map useful, even for their focus area of routing and route guidance, are up to the current standard.