[Talk-us] SEO Damage to OSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jun 30 23:25:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 06/30/2017 07:24 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
> Every edit was made by a new/separate user account that only ever makes
> one edit. In most cases, these edits are useful (it's someone adding a
> business POI) but in some cases they add the details to the wrong piece
> of geometry.

I see. We had a couple similar issues in the past, presumably from some
kind of SaaS SEO tool that will automatically sign up new accounts for
users of the tool. But we might also be dealing with "mechanical
turk"(*) type of human work.

These tools tend to get more sophisticated in flying under our
collective radar, but usually not sophisticated enough to get the
tagging quite right and avoid adding duplicate data.

The addition of advertising copy in the changeset comment is something
I've seen a lot (often duplicated or amended by a note or description tag).

I wonder if downloading a changeset planet and feeding all changeset
comments to some sort of Bayes filter could help identify more problems.

Bye
Frederik

(*) Where I live this term would be considered really offensive towards
those who do this kind of work but it seems to be the normal term in the US?