[Talk-us] MO Stare Road Classifications.

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 21:08:55 UTC 2017

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:55 PM, <idnwys at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking of using MODOT Functional classification maps to set roads
> to.  Basically the following:
>

> MODOT : OSM
>

> Interstate : motorway
>
> Freeway and Expressway : trunk
>
> Other Principal Arterial : primary
>
> Minor Arterial : secondary
>
> Major Collector : tertiary
>
> Minor Collector : unclassified
>
> Local : residential

I'm not a vehement anti-importer (there are a few around here, but I'm not
among them!) but I feel compelled to ask: to what extent do we expect this
classification to be more accurate that what is already there? I come from
a part of the country where the official designations of highways describe
what sort of construction was once authorized, rather than what was
actually built or maintained. There are "county highways" that you'd expect
to be highway=tertiary that are in fact highway=track, for instance. Do we
have reason to expect that the state highway department has more accurate
or complete information than the Census Bureau had?

This caveat goes many-fold if you're looking at doing any sort of automated
reclassification, since there you also have to watch out for undoing the
work of local mappers who are familiar with the roads. If that's what
you're talking about, then it also needs to be talked about on the
'imports' list.