[Talk-us] Consolidated city-counties beyond a single county: admin_level=5?

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu Mar 16 22:12:49 UTC 2017

As I have recently improved our https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/United_States_admin_level page, I launched a Discussion there about USA's non-New York City (NYC) consolidated city-county entities (CCCs).  NYC is the USA's only "multiple county agglomeration" tagged admin_level=5, whereas other CCCs seem correctly categorizable (though perhaps not "yet" so tagged, another topic) as admin_level=6.  (So are counties, county-equivalents and independent cities).

However, as I don't know details of the USA's myriad consolidated CCCs, and there are many, and they are complex with quite subtle distinctions, I launch the discussion.  The heart of the question is:  are there CCCs in the USA besides NYC which span multiple counties, and so seem as they might be more admin_level=5 than admin_level=6?  An initial example I grapple with is "Unigov" which makes up greater Indianapolis, as it spans both Marion County and portions of Hancock County, Indiana.  Are there others?

Discussion here:  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:United_States_admin_level#Consolidated_city-counties_beyond_a_single_county:_admin_level.3D5.3F, so please take it to that page rather than here in the talk-us pages.

Thank you,

SteveA
California