[Talk-us] "toll" related tags appropriate for park entrances?

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Mar 21 22:18:28 UTC 2017

On Tue Mar 21 21:17:04 UTC 2017 Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
>On one hand, I can agree withe the principle behind re-purposing of this
>tag. On the other hand, I can see it being quite possible this is going
>to throw some routing programs for a loop when "avoid tolls" is selected.

I never thought of that; excellent catch!  This feels like one of those times where I as human must simply pay attention to "drive with your brain making sense of what's right, rather than letting a GPS/computer/navigation system/driverless car software... make the decision.

(Heh, heh):  in the event of a driverless car "stuck" with these data, it will be more than its routing software that will be looping!

Seriously, this almost feels like a classic case of trying to tag too precisely, then the real world simply intervenes with a "screeching halt" exception.

SteveA
California