[Talk-us] "toll" related tags appropriate for park entrances?

Kevin Broderick ktb at kevinbroderick.com
Wed Mar 22 14:07:24 UTC 2017

Functionally, I would argue that payment-required (or pass-required) park
entries are effectively the same as a toll, anyhow. I'll give the example
of driving to Cooke City, Montana, in the winter—the only way to get there
with a wheeled vehicle is via Yellowstone National Park's northwest
entrance (and driving through the park). Unless you enter before the
entrance booth is manned, they'll be collecting that entrance fee even if
you just want to drive through to Cooke.*

*: unless you get there late enough at night or early enough in the morning
that they don't have the booth staffed.

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 3:16 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 5:18 PM, OSM Volunteer stevea <
> steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue Mar 21 21:17:04 UTC 2017 Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
>> >On one hand, I can agree withe the principle behind re-purposing of this
>> >tag. On the other hand, I can see it being quite possible this is going
>> >to throw some routing programs for a loop when "avoid tolls" is selected.
>>
>> I never thought of that; excellent catch!  This feels like one of those
>> times where I as human must simply pay attention to "drive with your brain
>> making sense of what's right, rather than letting a GPS/computer/navigation
>> system/driverless car software... make the decision.
>>

> Correct.
>

>> (Heh, heh):  in the event of a driverless car "stuck" with these data, it
>> will be more than its routing software that will be looping!
>>
>> Seriously, this almost feels like a classic case of trying to tag too
>> precisely, then the real world simply intervenes with a "screeching halt"
>> exception.
>>

> Driving's NP-complete anyway.  Don't try to map for something that can't
> be fully automated.

Kevin Broderick
ktb at kevinbroderick.com