[Talk-us] Available Building Footprints Date: March 28, 2017 at 2:06:33 AM PDT

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Mar 28 17:43:58 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 03/28/2017 05:48 PM, Denis Carriere wrote:
> Instead of having tons of different people trying to attempt loading all
> of these 8 Million buildings,

[...]

> After all the "hard work" is done.. you can simply add those
> small chunks of data with JOSM using any Tasking Manager

This is where I have violently disagreed with Denis and his team in the
past and still do; in my eyes, the *hard* work starts once the data has
been prepared and converted and set up, because *then* I want people
familiar with the area to load the data, compare it with what's there,
NOT blindly delete what's there, cross-check with aerial imagery and so on.

In my eyes, all the data preparation is peanuts, and the real value is
added to the import at the upload stage. This is where it is decided
whether this import will be successful or rubbish. A sad example for a
rubbish import is almost all of CanVec, which tends to be uploaded by
people who think that the "hard work" is already done by those who
prepared the data, and that all that is left for them is hitting the
upload button in JOSM.

While a task manager can help, it tends to invite contributions by
people who are not at all local to the area just to "colour it green".
This is undesirable in my opinion.

Bye
Frederik