[Talk-us] Available Building Footprints Date: March 28, 2017 at 2:06:33 AM PDT

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Mar 28 20:26:05 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> This is where I have violently disagreed with Denis and his team in the
> past and still do; in my eyes, the *hard* work starts once the data has
> been prepared and converted and set up, because *then* I want people
> familiar with the area to load the data, compare it with what's there,
> NOT blindly delete what's there, cross-check with aerial imagery and so on.

Violently? Really? Actually all parts are equal important. Do a poor job
creating data to be imported will only result in poor data imported into
OSM. Equally important as you point out is the physical import which should
always be more than copy paste.

> In my eyes, all the data preparation is peanuts, and the real value is
> added to the import at the upload stage. This is where it is decided
> whether this import will be successful or rubbish. A sad example for a
> rubbish import is almost all of CanVec, which tends to be uploaded by
> people who think that the "hard work" is already done by those who
> prepared the data, and that all that is left for them is hitting the
> upload button in JOSM.

Why bring up CanVec?

> While a task manager can help, it tends to invite contributions by
> people who are not at all local to the area just to "colour it green".
> This is undesirable in my opinion.

I have to disagree with you. Using the Tasking Manager with newer mappers
is a good thing. That's how we build more experience mappers for the
future. If the preparation for the import is done well, newer mappers
should be able to learn how to do a quality import. That newer mapper
learns new tools and gains confidence to be valued contributor. The TM
validation layer then allows us to give feedback to not only the new
mapper, but also back to the originator.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us