[Talk-us] Multipolygonizing

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Nov 21 00:34:18 UTC 2017

Briefly (thanks for the reminder, again, Ian!):

If the reltoolbox plug-in as as powerful as I am beginning to understand it may be (I appreciate the introduction, Gleb), and given my agreement that certain use cases (especially landuse) benefit greatly from multipolygonized boundaries (they do), I actually CAN imagine that the SCCGIS V4 landuse import data (in 2019 or 2020) could become multipolygon.  This likely would involve a pre-upload translation of polygon data into mulitipolygon using the tool, then conflation (which has to be done anyway).  Except, we upload multipolygons as we delete existing polygons during the conflation-and-upload phase.

I wanted to offer that bright spot of hope to anybody's lingering beliefs that I am "mule-entrenched" in my beliefs that existing polygons are always superior.  They are not.  They make updates harder, but I think I can get over that, as I can be convinced that "once done, the time investment is worth it" for the future benefits that multipolygons bring.

SteveA
California