[Talk-us] Great Lakes missing after osmosis update (diffs installation)

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 17:48:31 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Pilon, Michel (SSC/SPC) <
michel.pilon at canada.ca> wrote:

> Have you gotten a chance to validate the coastlines of the Great Lakes
> during the last weekend?
>
> You’re the only one who responded to my “help” request….

Oops, sorry, I thought I'd sent a reply.

I found one self-intersection on Lake Michigan and fixed it. Aside from
that, there didn't
seem to be any problems, and the Great Lakes render all right on my
machine. (Even
before the fix, they were rendering all right.)

I'm not a Mapnik maintainer, nor a really sophisticated user, so I'm not
certain what
might be amiss. Could it be that you had a failed import of diffs that
broke something?
(In which case, there might be no alternative to rerunning osm2pgsql from a
planet
export.)

Does your app need up-to-the-minute global data? I usually run with just
North America
from geofabrik, and only use geofabrik's daily diffs. I started out trying
to maintain
a mirror with minutely diffs, and it was kind of a nightmare. If anything
went wrong
even momentarily, it struggled to catch up and eventually failed. This was
with a
quadcore, 32 GB main memory, 0.5 TB SSD / 4 TB RAID0+1. It may have been
bandwidth limited, but I think it was more that you need a bigger cache
than I
could give it. That's a big database to try to synchronize remotely.

Otherwise, I'm kind of out of ideas. Maybe others who hear this message can
help more.