[Talk-us] Trunk

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Oct 7 00:19:15 UTC 2017

Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> writes:

> Would you consider oncoming traffic as conflicting?  That's the crux on the
> super-two debate.  I would consider at least two lanes each way,
> free-flowing, controlled access, and at least two carriageways as the
> minimum threshold for motorways.  Limited access, at-grade intersections,
> single carriageway, this all would be more characteristic of trunks to me.

I don't see it as necessary to define non-divided-highway as conflicting
or not.  In theory, people stay on their side of the yellow line, and it
isn't, but in practice, they cross sometimes.  The point of divided is
of course that they can't cross.  And it leads to needing a 2nd lane for
passing.

I find the notion of super-2 as motorway to be a very minority opinion.
Until Richie supported that position, I would not have expected anyone
to argue that, and I have not seen anyone else take that position.

We do have debates about how far along the primary-motorway continuum a
road has to be in order to be tagged as trunk, and I think that's where
there's a fair bit of fuzz (how many driveways, distance between
intersections, etc. -- e.g., 1/10 miles ok, 10/mile not, and it's hard
somewhere in between).

Does anybody else think that a non-divided highway with one lane in each
direction, even if controlled access, should be tagged motorway rather
than trunk?