[Talk-us] Trunk

Mark Bradley ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 14:00:07 UTC 2017

> Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 14:51:30 -0600
> From: Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org>
> To: OSM Talk US <talk-us at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: [Talk-us] Fwd:  Trunk

[...]

This subject was discussed at great length in the Wiki on this page[1], beginning ten years ago.  No conclusion was reached.  There were basically three main ways of classifying roads that were proposed:  based on administrative level, based on physical characteristics, and functional classification.  It seems these systems are mutually exclusive, so in my opinion we must agree to adopt one of these classifications as the foundation of our tagging system (possibly with some agreed-upon exceptions).  Unless we do that, I believe this discussion will go on forever, because each system has some merits.

Mark

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:United_States_roads_tagging