[Talk-us] Trunk

Nathan Mills nathan at nwacg.net
Sun Oct 8 19:18:23 UTC 2017

Riverside in Tulsa is fairly clearly a primary for most of its length. It isn't part of a larger trunk route nor is it an expressway.

Personally, I think of trunk as more like motorway than like the other highway values. Motorway is clearly used only for controlled access freeways (excepting short sections in extremely rural areas where an Interstate doesn't quite meet the standard). I think of trunk as the same thing, but for expressways. For routes that are not primarily expressway, I think primary is a better classification. That assumes it otherwise meets the standard for primary.

I can't think of any situations off the top of my head where unclassified/residential/tertiary/secondary/primary don't provide enough differentiation between sub-expressway roads. Using trunk to mean "more primary than primary" seems to reduce the usefulness of the map to simple data consumers that don't/can't take into account lanes and similar tags. Using trunk and motorway to mean "limited access expressway" and "controlled access freeway," respectively, seems to express the US road network better than conflating primary and trunk as NE2's edits often did. (And still are, in many places)

-Nathan