[Talk-us] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Mon Oct 9 16:01:32 UTC 2017

Looks like there are about 6600 redactions in the US. Did a quick sort of the list by country and state and it looks like Texas has the most (by eyeing the list rather than counting). Most states have a very manageable number. There were about 42 in California and I was able to apply Tiger 2017 names to 38 of those. Most states will be that easy.

All I did was take the list, extract out the ones for California, do a edit to add "https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/“ in front of the way ID and then do a “Load Location” in JOSM for each. Looked at them with the Tiger 2017 overlay imagery to see if there was a name I could apply. Took maybe 1/2 hour to do all of California.

Not sure this is a big enough job to bother putting up a OSM task for it. Just grab the way IDs in your state, and maybe in your neighboring state(s), and do it.

Texas and maybe New York will require more work, so maybe those could be broken into tasks. But for the rest I think it would pretty much be “one state is one task”.