[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 17:47:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Max Erickson <maxerickson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I reviewed about 40 ways in New York. Here's an Overpass script for
> finding the ways that have not been changed since the redaction:
>
> https://gist.github.com/maxerickson/e02651cce99af983949b91f8d471fb23
>
> The ways are clustered quite a lot.

Thanks, Max. The script was just what I needed. I wrapped a little
bit of Tcl code around it so that it would command JOSM to load the ways,
one at a time, and was able to blitz through about three hundred of
them last night.

I'm afraid that I didn't remember to hit 'Upload' often enough, so some of
the change sets are not as well clustered geographically as they ought
to be.  (Sorry about that, everyone!)

The clustering of the ways goes back to the TIGER import, which, if I recall
correctly, was done by census tract.

It looked in the aerials as if the roads that needed to remain nameless
were all service ways, and I tagged them accordingly. There were also
some motorway_link and similar things.

I left tiger:reviewed=no on most of them, because even though I usually
verified existence on aerials, I did NOT attempt to verify any other
attributes beside the name.

I left a note or two on the ways where the 'name' in OSM already matched
TIGER 2017 and I had no third source to check.