[Talk-us] Texas - redacted roads.

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 10:04:37 UTC 2017

richlv wrote "just a quick reminder that we should try not to use google
maps or
streetview, the legal status of "just looking" is also fuzzy :)"

Ok, so I if want to find out what a road is called, I'm not allowed to use
a street directory to do this?  This would be extremely weird.

If I am allowed to use a street directory for this, then I'm not allowed to
tell anybody else what I think the name of the road is.  Also extremely
weird.

I don't believe that writing what someone else thinks is the name of the
roads constitutes republishing their proprietary work and I'm certainly not
putting this information into any other work or database. (Mind you IANAL).

A few years ago this topic came up and IIRC Google said that it was ok to
look at "some" amount of their published data but not systematically trawl
through a LOT of it.
All very subjective, I know.