[Talk-us] Low-quality NHD imports

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 13 14:06:01 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 10/13/17 15:52, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> (I ignore the arguments that
> are based solely on contentions that "imports are always bad for the
> community," or else I'd never import anything.)

I only posted that on the talk list and not here, so for those on
talk-us who don't read talk and who are familiar with the "imports are
always bad for the community" discussion, you might want to have a look
at a scientific paper recently written by Abhishek Nagaraj (UC
Berkeley-Haas) which finds that:

"... a higher level of information seeding significantly lowered
follow-on knowledge production and contributor activity on OpenStreetMap
and was also associated with lower levels of long-term quality."

The paper can be freely downloaded here
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3044581 and there
has been a little discussion about it over on the talk list, here:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2017-October/079116.html

Bye
Frederik