[Talk-us] Trunk

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Fri Oct 13 17:59:11 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I haven't abandoned this thread or thinking about it. It has just taken me
a while to read through all the diary comments + what is being said in this
thread. I intend to follow up with another diary post where I try to
collect this smart crowd's thoughts and suggestions, but it will probably
not until after State of the Map US that I get to this.

In the mean time, I decided to test some of the ideas posted here on a real
case: The part of Michigan SR 10 northwest of the I-696 interchange:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/252973#map=13/42.5132/-83.3168

Since 1) this road does not seem to serve an important connecting role in
the long distance road network 2) the density of abutters and related
driveway / parking exits I judged a downgrade warranted. Please discuss
here or on https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/52903464 .

On the topic of tagging for the renderer, two things: 1) A US-specific
rendering would be really neat 2) Trunk 'appendices' like the one I just
downgraded do make rendering at low zooms tricky -- you end up with short
segments that seem to end in nothing.

Martijn