[Talk-us] Trunk

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Oct 15 04:47:03 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Nathan Mills <nathan at nwacg.net> wrote:

> I guess my question is why primary isn't good enough for the primary route
> between places that don't have higher grade roads connecting them? These
> important mostly two lane roads are perfectly fine as primary.

Funding, mostly.  I'd consider Bend Parkway a trunk (the dual carriageway
section between County Road 40 and US Route 20) But even then, the best
Oregon's ever going to do with the rest of the US 97 route is a 2-lane
single carriageway.  It's a desert road where you can go a decent amount of
time without encountering anyone else in either direction, almost a road to
go to of last resort if you're lost on foot as a last resort (and I realize
most of the roads that cross it are posted "No bicycles, no pedestrians, no
water available beyond this point", most of Oregon's open freaking desert
with no features for dozens to hundreds of kilometers if terrain doesn't
end the road far sooner).  That's totally a primary where it's not trunk.

> In many cases primary routes happen to be divided, but in many cases they
> aren't. Having a simple distinction between the two by using trunk to mean
> non-motorway divided (or similar) preserves long-standing practice and
> generally seems like a good thing to me.

 Same here.  Bend Parkway's a solid trunk.  Milwaukie Expressway, too.
Oklahoma City's Northwest Expressway's either a large primary or a bitty
trunk; Tulsa's Riverside Parkway is a large primary.