[Talk-us] Trunk

Nathan Mills nathan at nwacg.net
Sun Oct 15 14:51:46 UTC 2017

Yes, on more than one occasion back in the mists of time before armchair mappers had spread the lanes and other condition tags widely I found some pretty shitty US highways labeled as trunk, not because they are better roads, but because they happen to be long distance through routes. US412 should not be trunk across most of the state of Arkansas. It's mostly a crappy winding route that is actively dangerous for trucks, who should be taking I-49 to I-40 or US71 north to 44 unless their destination is directly along the route.

By the network definition, it solidly deserves trunk, but by any other measure it does not, and calling it so drives traffic to places it shouldn't be and makes the map harder to use effectively at a glance.

Yesterday(ish) someone asked which maps differentiate expressway vs freeway vs everything else that is paved in their inking styles. I'll answer that with a question. Have you ever seen a US paper map? Until the digital road atlases with topo shading and/or overlays started becoming common in the late 90s basically every official state highway map, chamber of commerce map, gas station map, and road atlas differentiated divided, limited access, undivided paved, and unpaved with styles and paved/unpaved with weight. Sometimes you'd get numbered highways in red and other roads in black (with light grey or dashed lines to mean unpaved, depending on the map)

It's long been how US road maps are drawn, so map users here expect that differentiation to exist. Of course, we also expect toll roads to be colored green, but OSM doesn't do that either. (And I'm fine with that, TBH. I don't consider it as important as being able to differentiate between divided and undivided in a relatively simple way.)

If someone could explain why primary is insufficient to denote a paved rural road that connects minor population centers far from other routes. Why should US-71 south of Witcherville in Arkansas not be tagged as primary once the divided segment ends? There aren't many US highways of that size with more traffic, but it seems solidly primary to me. Some might make the whole thing a trunk since the route goes through several states and is important enough to be being replaced as money becomes available with I-49. Never mind the four plus hours of driving through little towns on a windy mountain road involved. I'd have gotten in an edit war over it if someone had tried to tag the part north of I-40 a trunk before the freeway was built to Fayetteville and beyond.

-Nathan