[Talk-us] Mapping turn lanes in dual carriageway intersections

Horea Meleg horea.meleg at telenav.com
Wed Oct 18 11:35:25 UTC 2017

Hello all,
During our editing work on lanes in Detroit and Phoenix we found some interesting situations, usually on intersections with dual carriage way, where missing turn:lanes tagging can affect the lane connectivity.
So, in this situation: 42.329625, -83.16889
[cid:image005.jpg at 01D3481E.54C260C0]
There is no turn:lane info on the middle way, so there will be no connectivity between Way 1 and Way 4 and also Way 3 and Way 2.
Our Map Analyst team mapped lane info based on Mapbox initiative<https://blog.mapbox.com/mapping-turn-lanes-in-openstreetmap-5da9bf764f0d>, in brief we mapped only where the marking is present on the road. So, on middle way from picture above, we didn't add turn:lanes, therefor will be no connectivity to left.
We thought about a solution to resolve this issue, and we think that best option is to add there turn:lanes:both_ways=left on middle way like this:
[cid:image006.jpg at 01D3481E.54C260C0]
So, in future we will map this cases like this.
We'd love any input and advice from you guys. If you have any questions or comments, please let me/us know.
You can add comment and share with us your opinion here: https://github.com/TelenavMapping/mapping-projects/issues/36. Also, you can find more details on that page.

Thank you,
Horea Meleg,
Telenav