[Talk-us] Low-quality NHD imports

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 21:59:38 UTC 2017

On 14/10/2017 03:56, Clifford Snow wrote:

> Unnamed streams are helpful to people hiking in the forest areas by
> giving a landmark for navigation.

I'm in the UK so I'm not familiar with NHD, but here I am familiar with
streams here traced from NPE (old maps, very inaccurate by modern
standards).  NPE-traced streams can be useful in that they can tell you
that there's a stream here somewhere, but you absolutely can't use them
to tell which side of the water you're supposed to be on (or reliably
count crossing streams before a path junction).

However it is possible to use the tags on them to make it clear to
someone looking at the data where it came from.  For Garmin maps I
append "(NPE)" to the name of NPE-traced streams and you could certainly
do something similar with NHD ones.

OSM has always proceeded by evolution - stuff I added 9 years ago is
considerably less accurate than stuff I add now because there were fewer
sources available to compare - and EGNOS wasn't available then (at least
not to me).  I'm sure that what I add now will appear "similarly
inaccurate" in 9 years time!

Best Regards,

Andy