[Talk-us] Hurricane Irma - Puerto Rico

Jordan Brod jordan.brod at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 03:33:31 UTC 2017

Hey all,

I was curious if anybody was planning to do a response similar to what was
done in the Houston area for Puerto Rico (technically part of the US) in
regards to Irma.  From looking at the map San Juan looks to be well mapped
but the other areas seem to be lacking in building footprints.  The reason
I ask is that with Puerto Rico being a commonwealth / unincorporated
territory of the U.S. and not a state I don't know what kind of attention
they will receive from FEMA or any of the other federal disaster
departments, and if they are really hamstrung on data we might be able to
offer assistance.  I don't think HOT will do an activation for Puerto Rico
since they are part of the U.S. even if not an official state, and from the
looks of the current response they are only activating for islands that
have requested their help.