[Talk-us] Tampa/Clearwater Building Import to aid in Irma Recovery Efforts

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Sep 7 07:50:42 UTC 2017

Clifford,

could you share some thoughts about your general process with these
imports? I notice that you seem to be working on a lot of them. - Have
you forgotten to raise Tampa/Clearwater on imports@ or was the Corpus
Christi one assumed to be a kind of template for all Microsoft building
footprint imports?

I'm unclear about the status. Your posting simply says "the wiki page
for the import is available". What does that mean? The wiki page for
Corpus Christi says "Pending acceptance", the "stats" tab on
http://tasks.openstreetmap.us/project/118 says "0% complete" yet the
"activity" tab says "Glassman marked #233 as done about 6 hours ago".
Was that a test edit, or is the import already started?

Do you have plans to prepare further regions for imports? Since you're
not local to the areas in question (would it be fair to say you're on
the other end of the country?), do you undertake any efforts to enlist
local mappers besides posting on talk-us?

Do you have any statistics about who the participants in these imports
are? As you know, the reason we're doing these "community imports" is
that we hope to bring local knowledge to the table; do wo know if this
works, or is it the same people (potentially from the other end of the
country) that perform the majority of import tasks on each?

I'd also be interested in how long it takes for these imports to
complete; obviously if we should notice that people add 10k buildings in
an hour we must assume that the necessary diligence was not applied. --
I know that when HOT apply their tasking manager they often have a step
where a second person verifies the data added (or maybe just spot-checks
it). Is that a feature that the imports you run also have? The wiki page
for Corpus Christy says "QA: Validation: Use of validation tools in the
Tasking Manager process", but I assume that just refers to usual
automatic checks done by JOSM, not a second person inspecting the result?

Bye
Frederik