[Talk-us] wtsp.com using OSM for detour maps

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Sep 14 17:26:40 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the current road closure situation adequately reflected in the OSM data
>> as well?
>>

> ​Hour by hour? Do we expect it to?

I *wish* we had the manpower to do something like that!  That would be very
cool, but impractical given our manpower situation overall.

> Are breaking-news-reports on commercial media a usable source under our
> license?

I have used this as a lead for independent research (e.g., either visiting
the location in person, use available aerial imagery under an appropriate
license, or public domain government sources) to map.  I have the advantage
here, since Oklahoma tends to move on indian time.

> Do we have coding to expire a closure automatically or trigger periodic
> review, or trust the original closure mapper to remember to un-close a
> blockage ?

When I'm doing such construction tagging that impacts navigation, I'll
throw a note into the notes system with the expected reopening date so it
gets a little extra attention for other folks that might be mapping (or
better yet, on the ground, and can see when it's open again) in the area to
help keep things up to date.