[Talk-us] Requesting to remove stoplines in San Jose

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 15:00:13 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Vivek Bansal <3vivekb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, I noticed pfliers has added lots of unconnected ways w/
> `highway=stopline` all over San Jose. It’s really been cluttering up our
> workflows in iD, and now it’s triggering JOSM’s validator as we’re adding
> sidewalks. Can we remove them in one big mechanical edit? Even if the
> concept is good, they’d have to be remapped in order to be useful anyways.
> Maybe they should be a node along the centerline.  Or instead they should
> be a road_marking.
>
> This also affects Phoenix, Arizona.
>
> Here is a link to pfliers history:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/pflier/history#map=6/38.882/-117.411
>
> Here is pfliers proposal:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/stop_line
>
> -3vivekb
>
> I noticed the new tagging in Phoenix.  I sent the Keep Right maintainer a
request that excludes highway=stopline from "intersections without
junctions" checking.  I do not believe the sky is falling.  I don't see how
these stoplines would have to be remapped.  When we look at the data, all
the Phoenix stoplines are mapped by traffic lights.  I am not sure how
stoplines would impact your workflow.  Ignore the Josm validation
recommendations for these stoplines.  I haven't put a request into Josm
maintainers but it is certainly something that you can do.

The proposal has something to do with autonomous cars. The stoplines may
just be perfect for the Phoenix area.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/tech/2017/06/23/arizona-getting-ahead-autonomous-vehicle-industry-stepping-aside-waymo-uber-intel-chevy-bolt/405436001/

https://www.keepright.at/report_map.php?zoom=15&lat=33.51322&lon=-112.06043&layers=B0T&ch=0%2C130%2C191%2C192%2C193%2C194%2C195%2C196%2C197%2C198&show_ign=0&show_tmpign=0