[Talk-us] Functional Classification question in the Kansas City area

Joseph Barnes the.spui.ninja at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 14:04:37 UTC 2017

Hello all,

So for the past few months, user UAN51 (I've invited him to join this
thread) has been applying MODOT's Highway Functional Classification System
(HFCS) to primary and lower roads in the KCMO area. This has led to some
things (like part of US 169 and US 69 being secondary roads, MO 273 being a
secondary road when it's in just as good of condition as US 59 from 273 to
St. Joe) that just don't seem right to me. We have talked about this, and am
unable to agree. Now, I know I'm not the best person to deal with
classification issues (e.g. that time I overinterpreted the motorway tag and
applied it everywhere in the US because I didn't have anything better to
do), so I thought I'd ask for your opinion on this. Should we use solely
HFCS to determine the classification tag of primary and under roads?