[Talk-us] Gravel roads and surface tags in the US

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Apr 19 20:54:48 UTC 2018

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018, 21:51 Harald Kliems <kliems at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think compacted is definitely the best way to tag, but I agree with
> Toby's point that common terms conflicting with OSM terminology is going to
> lead to lots of errors. Looking at my own edits, I have mistakenly used
> surface=gravel quite frequently. Not really sure what to do -- a "did you
> really mean to tag 'surface=gravel'?" error message/tooltip in the editor?
> I think actual gravel in the sense of the wiki is quite rare.

I'm kind of thinking that the gravel surface in the wiki would be better
redone as surface=ballast.

The only things that grain of gravel gets used for that might be regularly
observed by laymen (yeah, I know about building foundations, sand filters,
French drains, etc) would be roadbeds surfaced by something else (gravel;
compacted gravel that's basically a paved road minus the tar and binders;
asphalt; concrete; etc, thus making this material visible only during
construction, repair or severe decay; or rails), and to fill in
particularly bad parts of trails or tracks that got washed out before.