[Talk-us] Clarke County, Mississippi, county road signs and OSM name tags

Jack Burke burkejf3 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 16:23:27 UTC 2018

Asking for thoughts & opinions...

While some counties just attach a number to a pole (e.g., many counties in
Georgia), there are some that put up signs saying "CR 123" (Jasper County,
Mississippi) for unnamed county roads.  However, Clarke County, Mississippi
signs (with shiny new green-signs-on-a-stick) county roads as "Clarke Co.
123".  What are everyone's thoughts on how to name these roads in OSM for
Clarke County?  We can just leave the name field blank and use ref=CR 123,
we can do the ref tag and also include name=County Road 123, or we can do
ref=CR 123 and name=Clarke County 123.  Or even ref=CR 123, name=Clarke
County 123, alt_name=County Road 123.  Or swap the name= and alt_name=
values.

Keep in mind that a lot of county roads in OSM already have name=County
Road 123 from a bulk import many moons ago.

Clarke County, MS, example:
https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/l9YS7slPwIDc-3Qw8IQaqg

Jasper County, MS, example:
https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/_mZvHi1tX9ddTJKS5DLiFg