[Talk-us] Proposition for changing the common name tag

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Mon Aug 20 01:46:37 UTC 2018

W dniu 17.08.2018 o 03:50, OSM Volunteer stevea pisze:
> I agree with Kevin (and others) that adding "it is never incorrect to add it" (can't hurt), usually helps and distinguishes Mexican states from the fifty north of the Rio Grande (in some places).

Brian Housel on the Slack US channel has noticed that "it will match
other every other map: Bing, Google, Apple, Mapbox, etc." This not
something I thought about myself, because I don't use these maps, but it
makes sense for me as strong proof that it's really THE common name of
this country for all the practical purposes.

I also think that it really can hurt to not follow tag definitions (and
intentions). That's why we have multiple "name*" tags family. People can
choose which version they prefer to use for their purposes and default
map style is just one possible use. If you want to have
official/political map, you can use official_name, with "United States
of America", to be perfectly sure and don't upset anyone. If you want
country names to not clutter the space or you want to show some other
data more prominently, you can use short_name, with just "USA". But when
you want just common names, you could use "name" tag containing "United
States". Using official name instead of common name is not the proper
solution in my view, rather kind of a hack.

Overall response for this proposition in last 5 days is favorable, but I
want to wait bit more to not act in hurry and give people a chance to
express any objections they might have.

--
"My method is uncertain/ It's a mess but it's working" [F. Apple]