[Talk-us] ref=* tags on links

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 23:26:28 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018, 3:46 PM Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018, 14:33 Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/24/18 3:15 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> > This is a criticism I've had about the Standard renderer for a while
>> > now.  Andy Allan's rendering refs from relations.  Osmand is rendering
>> > refs from relations.  Magic Earth is rendering refs from relations.
>> > Pretty sure Mapbox and Rand McNally are as well.
>> "don't tag for the renderer" - but we lose sight of the fact that there
>> are
>> multiple renderers, and non-renderer data consumers on top of that.
>>

> And?
>
> It's been obvious for about a decade now that this exact thing was going
> to happen, let's make it happen already.

I'm trying to do *my* part, with a worked example of *how* to render
shields from route relations, what needs to happen with the front
(OSM->database) end of the render stack (or a data analysis stack, for that
matter), why my example of that will not scale to a planet with minutely
diffs, and a sketch of how to fix that.

That's why my discussion brings on TL;DR. It gets a bit (no, a lot!) bogged
down in the PostGIS details, but details are important.

As I said, I'm still having technical difficulties with mailing to
tile-serving, so thus far Senpai has not noticed me.