[Talk-us] [Imports] Bing Building Import

Andrew andrewdmatheny at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:37:54 UTC 2018

Hi all-

Have there been any ideas about how we want to handle the import process?

My thoughts are that this could be treated as a unified project for
"simple" imports that will not be conflating the footprints with other data
(e.g. address points).  My thought is we could adopt a streamlined process
like this to avoid filling up the imports lists when the experience of the
mapper needs to be reviewed rather than the actual import process itself:

   1. Write a project-level wiki page with standard instructions and tips
   with community feedback
   2. Have a table on the page (and maybe the Import Catalog) for local
   groups or users that would like to "claim" the import in a certain area and
   track import/validation progress.
   3. Get a few volunteers from the community who can serve as "project
   managers" to offer guidance and validation
   4. When a new user starts the import process, they complete a small test
   area and then message a project manager to get thumbs up and feedback
   before continuing on with the import
   5. We all use a special #bingbuildings changeset hashtag so that we can
   monitor and track progress
   6. Optionally, set up a project in the OSM-US tasking manager when the
   import is complete for validation purposes by the community at-large.

If someone is running an import that conflates the footprints with other
datasets (e.g. address points), that would go through the normal community
review process since we'll have a separate license and process to review.

Thanks,

Andrew