[Talk-us] Trunk versus motorway

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Dec 2 05:41:13 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 11:01 PM <richiekennedy56 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [forwarding this to talk-us, sent privately in error]

They don't even work like regular freeways.  You can't pass, and even if
you can, it's limited by oncoming traffic and onramps.  Freeways are dual
carriageway, fully controlled, grade separated and high speed; anything
that doesn't meet that shouldn't be tagged as motorway.

> > Dual carriageway, at-grade intersections but otherwise freeway like?
> Trunk.
>
> It seems the question in this thread is “Where does a Motorway end and a
> Trunk begin” where there is a stretch containing at-grade intersections
> between two segments that could otherwise qualify as motorway.

I generally consider the last junction with another motorway to be a good
place, though the first grade separated junction to be a good compromise.