[Talk-us] Rural US: Correcting Original TIGER Imported Ways

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Mon Feb 12 21:07:18 UTC 2018

> On Feb 12, 2018, at 12:11 PM, OSM Volunteer stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:
>
> Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote
>> How many of the TIGER imported streets are still untouched?
>
> Thanks for rallying us with this great thrust forward, Clifford, with excellent Challenges, resources and direction.  I'd like to add one more tool I use for TIGER cleanup, the Ito! map at:  http://product.itoworld.com/map/162?lon=-122&lat=47&zoom=9&fullscreen=true
>
> This can be slow to load, and subsequent changes you make take several days to a couple of weeks to re-render, but over a longer-term (months to years) I have found it to be a valuable tool.  When a "divide and conquer" strategy is applied (for example, a county or sub-area of a county), progress becomes visually rewarding.  Seattle, largely dark blue (great!) or light blue (OK for now) looks better-than-average, as you note and as would be expected.  However, as soon as you drop out of the urban megalopolis, things get orange (fix me) and red (fix me FIRST!) rather quickly.  This helps prioritize what TIGER data need attention sooner, like right now!
>
> Remember, after you review tags and alignment of TIGER data, REMOVE the tiger:reviewed=no tag, don't change its value to yes.

Thank you Steve for that ITO link. I was unaware of that and it really is a nice tool to see the overall status of the TIGER fixup in an area.

I used to simply delete the the tiger:reviewed tag. But, based on things I’ve read either in the mail lists or elsewhere, more recently I’ve been deleting all the TIGER tags when I’ve surveyed the road and fixed any alignment, etc. issues. I see on the ITO map that changes the color to black whilst simply removing the reviewed tag turns it blue. . .

Anyway, what is the current best practice dealing with TIGER tags once the road has been surveyed and corrected? Remove all TIGER tags or just the reviewed tag?

Thanks!
Tod