[Talk-us] Rural US: Correcting Original TIGER Imported Ways (Ben Miller)

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Feb 19 19:28:06 UTC 2018

Chiming in my +1 that county-at-at-time is a good, workable approach for TIGER cleanup.  I review the Ito! map's red highways/freeways first, then red major roads, then get to orange.  Joe Larson in San Luis Obispo (part of the firefighters there) spent a couple of years coordinating this effort there and now that county is "all blue."  (I believe he had some official state/county data to use, but still it was good, though tedious multi-year-long work).  My county (a few to the north) is maybe 75% done.  I've said it here before, elephants are best eaten one bite at a time and TIGER review is no exception.

OSM-US still doesn't have a hard consensus about what to do with many/most of the "other" TIGER tags (I would like to see this discussion progress), but after a good review, please DO delete the tiger_reviewed=no tag.  Delete it, don't change its value to yes.  BTW, I agree with the consensus that sometimes an actual human on-the-ground survey is the only way to do this sufficient to delete the tiger_reviewed=no tag, as Bing or other imagery is most certainly not always sufficient.

SteveA
California