[Talk-us] Rural US: Correcting Original TIGER Imported Ways

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 22:30:05 UTC 2018

On 19/02/2018 22:03, Clifford Snow wrote:
>  Can I steal your road styles?

Sure.

> BTW - I can't see the difference between a plain residential and a
> unpaved residential. Unclassified stands right out, but not residential.

That's arguably a bug :)  I added support (downgrading to track) for
unpaved unclassified (as visible at
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=16&lat=-24.99447&lon=135.03725
) and from memory there's support elsewhere for _gravel_ residential;
but not unpaved.

For the US, however, you'd want to do something other than just
"downgrading to track".  There are a couple of options I suspect:

One is to split unpaved roads out as a separate "road type" altogether
(that's how sidewalk and verge are handled as seen at
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=15&lat=-24.99273&lon=135.02137
).  The other is to have some sort of modifier (like "bridge", but
different).  that's how "long fords" and embankments at
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=15&lat=-24.99958&lon=135.0693
are handled.

I use a lua style file
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua
to do both of these, but that might not be an acceptable approach to the
OSM Standard Style if that's your target (for entirely valid reasons to
do with database reload), so you may have to do the selection just in
the "project" file and the "roads" files.  With a test such as "unpaved"
that should be doable though.

The place to start though is to get a working copy of the style
locally.  I tend to use
https://switch2osm.org/manually-building-a-tile-server-16-04-2-lts/ for
that; if you use Docker already then
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/DOCKER.md
is surely going to be easier.

Once you've got some of your own tiles to play around with I'd suggest
just experimenting with the various parts in a style (e.g. the "fill",
the "casing" and "text") that make up a road
(https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/38988 has a bit of
info about that, but there have got to be better examples) and seeing
what effect various changes have.

Best Regards,
Andy