[Talk-us] Rural US: Correcting Original TIGER Imported Ways

Albert Pundt roadsguy99 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 03:43:42 UTC 2018

I concur that deleting unnamed and untouched TIGER ways is the way (no pun
intended) to go. From my experience editing, many rural driveways mapped in
TIGER were converted to highway=service with access=private (though rarely
with service=driveway), though there are many more that are still just
highway=residential. If these are all deleted, it's not like we can't just
go through and map more driveways. (Driveway mapping doesn't often seem to
be much of a focus for a lot of people anyway, though they should still get
mapped eventually.)

For many of these roads around Pennsylvania, I generally set what appear to
be unpaved roads that go and piddle out in someone's field to highway=track,
and roads connecting to houses and buildings to highway=service. Sometimes
I'll fix alignment, but most of the time these fixes are sidelined in favor
of my main editing goal. I don't often go and edit random TIGER roads;
instead, I focus on the numbered routes in my state.

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 9:14 PM, Nick Hocking <nick.hocking at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Paul wrote  "Or maybe the unedited original TIGER that's still around
> dropped to
> highway=road.  "
>

> Given that the *vast* majority of these (with no name) are completely
> fictional, and even those that aren't, are so out of position and so
> wrongly connected as to render them worse than useless, I believe that
> deletion is the only sensible option.

—Albert