[Talk-us] Satus CDP

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Feb 27 07:25:56 UTC 2018

On 2/26/2018 4:59 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> In the middle of the Yakama Nation Indian Reservation sits Satus [1]
> that as far as I know only exists in some Census bureaucrat world.
> Asking around here I haven't found anyone familiar with the area.
> Wikipedia [2] doesn't help much either.
>
> I'd like to remove it from OSM. What reasonable checks do I need to do
> before deleting it.

It sounds like you've done them.

> Or do they belong in OSM and I should leave it alone.

CDPs don't belong in OSM for their own sake.* In some cases, a CDP
corresponds to a real place, and they're useful then. In other cases,
they have no relation to the situation on the ground, and shouldn't be
in OSM.

* Leaving aside Alaska, which has an administrative structure different
than the rest of the US.