[Talk-us] Potential vandalism in Northern California (Pokémon Go?) (Andy Townsend)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 23:57:57 UTC 2018

On 30/12/2017 01:28, OSM Volunteer stevea wrote:

(some bits snipped)
> 1)  Let's agree that what our wiki says in leisure=park defines what we mean by "a park is a park, like this, even if it doesn't seem like that is what other parks look like, exactly."  In other words, what OSM says is a "park" is a short definition, but it is an elastic one which encompasses a big and generous solution space to include parks.

Currently the wiki page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dpark defines an OSM
"leisure=park" using a few words, and illustrates it with a picture of
part of Central Park in New York.  It then goes on to say that
"leisure=park" shouldn't be used for national parks.  It uses Yosemite
at http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=10/37.8230/-119.5060 as an example
national park ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1643367 for info ).

I'd suggest that the state and county parks in CA such as for example
Joseph D Grant https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3003169 are less
like Central Park than they are like Yosemite.   They might not be close
enough to warrant a "boundary=national_park" tag, and some other tag
(some sort of protected_area?) might be more appropriate, but they're
definitely not an OSM "leisure=park" in a "does it quack like a duck"
sense as per https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Duck_tagging.  On
Joseph D Grant someone has added a "park:type=county_park" tag to try
and help data consumers distinguish it from other "leisure=park"s, but
that doesn't really say anything about what it's like, just who looks
after it.

> 2)  Landuse is not landcover and vice versa.

Indeed (and OSM is confusing about how it tags both of those) but that's
not really relevant to the current discussion.  Bits of a state park may
be covered with trees, and some of those trees might be primarily there
for future logging (or not) but that is a separate issue to the legal
status of the state park and who owns and operates the land.  There may
be rules about uses that people can't use the land in a state or
national park for, but that's normally different what it is currently
used for.  OSM has tags that start "landuse=", "natural=" and to a
lesser extent "landcover=", but those landuse tags aren't just about
land use and not all "natural" things are truly natural.

Best Regards,

Andy