[Talk-us] Parks, again

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 11:45:31 UTC 2018

On 06/01/2018 21:11, Doug Hembry wrote:

(lots snipped, pretty much all of which I agree with)

> IMHO, AT THE VERY LEAST, the background green fill for leisure=park
> could and should be dropped by openstreeetmap-carto - it is unnecessary,
> causes problems, and can be replaced by natural=* or landcover=* . This
> would reduce one incentive for inappropriate use, and if still used
> inappropriately, it wouldn't matter so much.
There's a discussion that touches on this at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/603 - it was
initially proposed there to replace the rendering of
leisure=nature_reserve with rendering protected_area.

leisure=park and leisure=nature_reserve were both designed for specific
on-the-ground features, but there's been significant usage of both to
"turn areas green" in the OSM Carto map style.

> While on the topic of rendering "parks", I do agree with Steve (again,
> if I'm understanding correctly) that  it would be valuable, if possible
> at some point in the future - both for map clarity as well as providing
> useful information to users - for carto to use different colors for
> different types of boundaries. I differ with Steve in that IMO the
> coloring should be based off protect_class (or at least for several
> bands of protect_class if there are too many distinct values for
> separate colors) rather than jurisdiction. Jurisdiction is less
> meaningful to users than level of protection, and in any case is usually
> obvious from the area name and other tags. Further, boundary rendering
> should indicate access restrictions (access=yes/no/permit) by some means
> - perhaps a dashed line as is presently done for highways.

To be honest, I wouldn't "suggest that OSM Carto do X" here - there's
been a lot of discussion already and no conclusions there. What I'd
suggest instead is that someone knocks up a rendering of California
based on what it would look like if boundary=protected_area, or
protect_class, or whatever is used instead of park, nature_reserve
and/or national_park.  It's not that complicated to do that - there are
basic instructions for creating a tile server at
https://switch2osm.org/manually-building-a-tile-server-16-04-2-lts/ and
California is small enough in OSM terms to fit on a virtual machine on
an average desktop PC.

I did something similar for the UK - here
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/c342d0e42aeec0219777535a16e4c025a8886bf1/style.lua#L362
is a simple example of "it it's tagged like X, make it render like Y",
and the result is the dashed lines around e.g.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/144944672 on this map:
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=12&lat=53.3107&lon=-1.7177
.  If anyone wants any help with that, please ask.  There's quite a lot
of useful information around already, bt it is spread out in different
places.

Best Regards,

Andy