[Talk-us] keeping the National Agricultural Imagery Program (NAIP) dataset open

Tom Lee tlee at mapbox.com
Mon Jan 8 15:39:58 UTC 2018

The NAIP dataset
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/National_Agriculture_Imagery_Program>
is valuable for mapping in the continental US, so I suspect there are more
than a few people on this list who share my alarm at the leaked proposal to
move it to a licensed model. My colleague Charlie just wrote about this on
the Mapbox blog:

    https://blog.mapbox.com/keeping-naip-free-open-cf9ad9d310be

If you're a NAIP user, please consider writing about why the dataset is
important to you and why it should remain open. Now is the time to make the
case for keeping this resource available to all. Public statements are the
best way to spread the word about this, but if you'd prefer to stay
private, I'm happy to collect testimonials by email and make sure they get
to the right people in government.

If you're interested in staying up to date with how this advocacy effort is
proceeding, there's also a low-volume listserv you can join:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/save-the-naip

Thanks!