[Talk-us] tiger name issue in New York

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 14:17:23 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 8:14 AM, Max Erickson <maxerickson at gmail.com> wrote:

> About 1600 highways named "Adirondack Park" and another 300 named
> "Adirondack Park Preserve". Mostly service drives that are in
> Adirondack Park, but it seems unlikely that they are all actually
> named that way.
>
> http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/vDk

The locals are aware of this. It's worse than you think.

I've fixed some, but  it's slow going. A good many of those roads are
tracks or less, and few are signed. (They do have names, but you
have to find them in published sources or ask a local.)

Most of the ones that are entirely
within the park have been closed to motor vehicles since the 1970s.
They're mapped so inaccurately in many cases that the whole data
set has a hallucinatory quality to it.

There's a New York State data set that's a better source on the names,
but I've not been able to secure permission to use it. Its data
quality is also pretty poor. The agency that maintains it is
chronically underfunded.

For all these reasons, I tend to think that repairs aren't adding much
value unless they're backed up by literal boots on the ground.
I haven't nearly as much time to travel as I'd like.