[Talk-us] Sidewalks in Austin without any tags

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Jul 25 15:14:05 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 3:58 PM Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you (or does anyone else on this list) have a direct connection to
> the TaskarCenterAtUW account?  If so it'd be great to let them know that
> people have been trying to get in touch with them, and to get some
> information about the plans to add meaningful tags to the data that's
> been added already).  Obviously in-OSM contact methods exist but if
> someone reading this actually knows them they'd understand the context
> better.

I have contacts with the Taskar Center and will contact them. But I believe
Austin is running their own project, not under the direction of the Taskar
Center. I will verify it with them. It may take me a while to get an answer
so please let's not rush to remove anything.

> Unfortunately just "more data" is not necessarily an improvement -
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/603909001 is an example of something
> that as it currently stands really does add no value. However it's clear
> that the user who added that was aware that there was more to be done -
> they wrote "Will use JOSM to put in the appropriate tags".  It'd be good
> to know if or when they plan to do that, or whether some other approach
> (Maproulette?) might be approriate if they're no longer able to do so
> and need other people to tidy up after them.

I haven't looked at the data in Austin (I've been on the road and don't
have ready access to either time or internet.) So my question is are any of
the ways added not verifiable? Or is the problem that they are not fully
tagged? If the ways are accurate then I don't see a problem. If they are
adding garbage then they should be reverted.  As far as I know we don't
delete objects just because they are incomplete. If the way isn't routable
but is an actual sidewalk/footpath then it's a valid edit.

Best,
Clifford

--
@osm_seattle