[Talk-us] Slack: Do we need an Alternative (was Planning an import in Price George...)

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Jun 11 16:42:48 UTC 2018

Hi Simon,

> > * everyone is on it
> That's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy after you've essentially
> force migrated everybody there and then cut the ties with any other
> competing media (in OSM) so that you can have your nice walled garden.

I would argue that it is a good thing that people converge on one platform to talk about OSM. Whether Slack remains the right choice is something we can debate. It was really the only feasible choice that was available to us at the time we (OSM US) felt the need for a better platform for conversations. Slack has done its job as a for-profit non-open company well in the sense that we're somewhat locked in now. I dislike the fact that it is a walled garden, and becoming more so, as much as anyone who values free and open data and software. If there is a practical way to improve that situation, we should pursue it.

Finally, please stop your unpleasant trolling, it has no place in OSM.

Martijn