[Talk-us] Slack: Do we need an Alternative (was Planning an import, in Price George...)

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Jun 12 23:11:39 UTC 2018

Doug,
Like Martijn said, many of us are on multiple communications forums. I'm on
talk-us (and a bunch of others), IRC, Slack, Reddit and even on various
Meetup Groups. I used to be on Facebook, but just couldn't tolerate FB
attitude towards users privacy.

Slack is available on desktops as a standalone app. They have apps for
Windows, Mac and Linux. A smartphone isn't required.

Slack is to be attractive to a wide number of people. The US Chapter made
the right decision for the US community to adopt it. Slack is helping us
grow the community. That's good. Not everyone want to be on IRC, or Slack
or Mailing Lists, or etc. That's why we have so many choices.

Clifford

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 2:22 PM Doug Hembry <doughembry at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I stand with Greg Morgan and Rihards on this one (and I think, Steve, if
> I remember rightly). I watch my email, and read the messages and digests
> from the talk lists. I'm old-fashioned and don't even use a smart phone
> or any social media (probably the only person in California who
> doesn't). I'd noted what seemed to be a drop-off in talk-us messages,
> and wondered where everyone had gone, but I'm not signing up for Slack
> or any other apps just to keep in touch. If the talk-us community is
> migrating to Slack, then I'll just get used to being out of the loop. A
> pity, but I don't have time to change my habits, and like some other
> correspondents I have a gut suspicion of for-profit corporations.

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch