[Talk-us] California is too big ;)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Nov 6 13:23:34 UTC 2018

Tod,

generally, the Geofabrik OSM PBF extracts are available across the size
spectrum from continent to smallest extract, so the California OSM PBF
extract will not go away (sorry if I was unclear about that).

But my assumption was that there might be a need for smaller files
because the whole-California file has meanwhile reached a size where it
takes a while to process.

The only thing that *does* go away when I split something in smaller
files is the free shape downloads - these are only available for the
"leaves" of the tree, i.e. the smallest regional units.

On 06.11.2018 13:58, Tod Fitch wrote:
> In any case, I assume a good description of the extract boundaries will
> be provided

Heh, I had hoped that by asking here, I'll be able to find a
self-explaining split where everyone knows immediately from the name
what's in it. Apparently not so easy ;)

Best
Frederik