[Talk-us] Population during mandatory evacuations

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Nov 13 08:59:19 UTC 2018

Minh Nguyen wrote:
> Following some discussion about this changeset in OSMUS
> Slack [2], I started a discussion on the wiki about preferring
> more stable population figures over supposition about
> temporary circumstances. [3]

It's roughly analogous to a situation we had a few months ago with road
closures due to Hurricane Florence:

    https://twitter.com/richardf/status/1040931194999898114

I think the answer is that temporary situations need temporary (i.e.
lifecycle-bounded) tagging. Tagging temporary situations with unbounded tags
is ok for those browsing osm.org or another online slippy map with minutely
updates, but not for anyone using offline maps, sites with less frequent
updates, and so on.

cheers
Richard

--