[Talk-us] [Imports] Grand Junction, CO Fire Hydrant Import

Andrew andrewdmatheny at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 14:11:49 UTC 2018

Just a quick thought, but have you checked out the Conflation plug-in in
JOSM? Assuming the hydrant number that will go in your ref tag is unique,
that would be an easy way to match or use a search radius on already mapped
hydrants and then merge tags.

The only other issue I could see is that you'll probably need to check how
closely the hydrant locations jive with OSM data. In other words, is the
precise location of the fire hydrant important, or its relative location
from a nearby street/building/landmark in OSM?

Your city data may be extremely precise and is likely based on a local
coordinate reference system (CRS), whereas data in OSM may have been
armchair mapped from different imagery with good or poor alignment over
time (and uses WGS84). Depending on the quality of both datasets,
reprojecting may solve some of the issues but you may have to do some
manual review starting out.

-Andrew