[Talk-us] Forest Routes

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Wed Nov 28 10:07:45 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-28 01:57, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> On 2018-11-20 08:57, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>> When I map these roads I include the FS number (just the number) as a
>> ref, since that is how they are signposted in the field.
>
> I think the ref tag on the ways should have a prefix and not just
> consist of a bare number. Otherwise, it's just as ambiguous for data
> consumers as the (123) refs all over New Jersey, since the U.S. doesn't
> have a highway tag that corresponds one-for-one with forest routes.

(I hit send too soon.) Lots of shields show only the number and no
prefix, such as the U.S. Route shield, but we still use the "US" prefix
anyways.

Data consumers really should be using route relations instead of ref
tags on ways whenever possible. Some ambiguity is unavoidable on way
refs, which IMO should reflect what's on plain-text signage or in
publications. If one thinks of the way refs as a compatibility shim,
then "FS" doesn't seem unreasonable as a prefix.
minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us